Regulatory Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  60601-1 Applied Part - I am confused.

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 05-Jun-2023 07:43

So we have our catheter (applied part) connected to our system (accessible part), all good so far. 

Our catheter is an over-the-wire catheter, It is not part of the ME, but we use it to achieve our intended use.

Is the following correct? : 

From my perspective, the guidewire will be considered a patient connection and not an applied part. Therefore I will still be required to ensure insulation between the guidewire and the system. 

• 2.  RE: 60601-1 Applied Part - I am confused.

Posted 06-Jun-2023 12:15

Indeed, your understanding is accurate. The guidewire utilized alongside the over-the-wire catheter is classified as a patient connection rather than an applied part.

Given its classification as a patient connection, it is essential to implement suitable insulation and electrical safety measures to ensure the device operates safely and effectively. It is necessary to have insulation in place between the guidewire and the system to prevent any potential electrical hazards or negative impacts during device usage.

------------------------------
    Raje Devanathan
    Amerisource Bergen
    TPIreg, Innomar Strategies
    Senior Manager - Regulatory Affairs, Medical Devices
    rdevanathan@tpireg.com
    3470 Superior Court
    Oakville ON L6L0C4
    Canada
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: 60601-1 Applied Part - I am confused.

Posted 06-Jun-2023 14:36

Thank you!

So I can make that isolation of components. Still, at the end of the day, for defibrillation-proof, for example, if the proximal end of the guidewire (the part that is outside of the patient) is on the operating table, there is so much I can do about the measures I can put in place so that the defibrillation energy will not be delivered to the patient. 

I can do that for my system, so it will be considered safe if the users accidentally touch it. But not for the entire setting, as there will always be an exposed part of the guidewire.