Regulatory Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  EU MDR Clinical Investigation & ISO 14155

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 17-Aug-2022 16:11
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

I'm working with a medical device company who wishes to conduct an Exploratory / Early Feasibility Clinical Investigation to determine if a device has the potential to accelerate the correction of a medical condition. Our final device in question, will be Class IIb implantable, but for the purpose of the clinical investigation, we will be attaching a custom-made / in house manufactured device (non-CE Marked) to an existing implant. My competent authority has provided the opinion that as we are looking at safety and performance of a device, it looks like Article 62 applies. The CA's opinion was that even if the data from the study will not be directly used for a regulatory submission, if the data informs other future studies that may be used for regulatory submission, then it falls under Article 62.

We believe we fall under Article 82, as this is a Pilot Stage Exploratory / Early Feasibility Clinical Investigation of a non-CE Marked device to determine the feasibility of designing a device that can accelerate the correction of a medical condition.  Would like to hear other views on this.

Additionally, as the trial that we will be conducting will be an Exploratory / Early Feasibility Clinical Investigation, do we need to comply with all of the requirements of ISO 14155?

Clause 6.10 Labelling states

"The investigational device, the instructions for use, or the packaging shall indicate that the investigational device is exclusively for use in a clinical investigation, unless this is not required (see I.7)".

NOTE See ISO 15223‑1 and national or regional regulations for further information on labelling."

Annex I, I.7 a) states "Pre-market exploratory clinical investigation: all principles in this document apply with the exception that no mandatory (pre-)specification of a statistical hypothesis is required."

Do we need to comply with all of the requirements of ISO 15223‑1 for Labeling, specifically UDI requirements, for this exploratory device or can we claim an exemption from this requirement and note it in the CIP?

Appreciate your help and guidance!

• 2.  RE: EU MDR Clinical Investigation & ISO 14155

Posted 27-Aug-2022 13:36
    Hello Anon

Article 27, point 1, may be helpful...

The Unique Device Identification system ('UDI system') described in Part C of Annex VI shall allow the identification and facilitate the traceability of devices, other than custom-made and investigational devices

------------------------------
    Anne LeBlanc
    United States

• 3.  RE: EU MDR Clinical Investigation & ISO 14155

Posted 28-Aug-2022 05:07
    Hello Anon,

There is alot going on your situation, so I might suggest seeking some expert advice to work through this information ensuring all regulatory requirements are being met.

Richard Vincins ASQ-CQA, MTOPRA, RAC
    Vice President Global Regulatory Affairs

• 4.  RE: EU MDR Clinical Investigation & ISO 14155

Posted 30-Aug-2022 13:04
    We were going to conduct a clinical trial in Spain. I may be mistaken but I believe Spain requires any beneficial treatments to be made available for all patients with that same condition. For the trial it was provided for free and if we received a request by another patient not in the trial we were to make it available to them as well although we would be reimbursed for costs. I think it was required for serious health issues only though.

Edward Panek
    VP, QA/RA
    Med Device
    USN Veteran
    Research into Neural Nets - https://www.twitch.tv/edosani