Regulatory Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

• 1.  France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 30-Nov-2023 07:26
    Edited by Stephanie Grassmann 30-Nov-2023 08:45

France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023.

https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-15385-2023-INIT/x/pdf

Video of Today, see start at 12:51. France is not alone as you see in the video. 

https://video.consilium.europa.eu/event/en/27198

LinkedIn Post

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7135912114619039744/

1217 MDR CE certificates total with flattening MDR CE certification application curve with only 4106 applications total for MDR CE certification to date according to MDCG (see link)
    https://health.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2023-11/mdcg_2022-11_en.pdf

Medical device & IVD shortages in 2024 and onwards in Europe if nothing changes, I would expect. 

Best Regards,

Stephanie

------------------------------
    Stephanie Grassmann
    Founder & Managing Director of MedTechXperts Ltd
    Biberstein
    Switzerland

• 2.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 30-Nov-2023 09:53

This part "For medical devices:
    The figures presented at the meeting of the Medical Device Coordination Group (MDCG) in October 2023 do not show a massive investment by economic operators. The pace at which manufacturers are submitting files is not yet sufficiently brisk;"

...to me indicates industry is not motivated by the extension to 2028 and has not made an impact on industry behavior for MD in the EU. 

Is that your reading?

Edward Panek
    VP, QA/RA
    Med Device
    USN Veteran
    Research into Neural Nets - https://www.twitch.tv/edosani

• 3.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 30-Nov-2023 10:07

Dear Ed

Due to the cost of the MDR CE certification and its lack of predictably (cost, time effort), I have been told that several manufacturers are abandoning EU for now.

Others have decided to not re-certify their MDD devices as MDR devices. 

There is at least one publication comparing FDA and EU MDR certification in terms of cost in which the difference is enormous. 

Therefore, the flattening of the curve represents to me - my interpretation - the decreasing interest to proceed with MDR CE certification. 

One other indicator is that I know of a few consultants looking for MDR work and medical device developers and PMs looking for work the last few weeks. 

Of course, there are reports from others that manufacturers are just too slow, which I cannot believe based on my inside knowledge.

Best Regards, 

Stephanie

Stephanie Grassmann
    Biberstein
    Switzerland

• 4.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 30-Nov-2023 11:42

Stephanie:

I am aware that many manufacturers are now trying to bring the devices first to the US.   However, the FDA facing slowly the 510(k) process out and require already for many devices clinical data.  And that is the main cost in the MDR/IVDR that you need to proof clinical effectiveness before a device can enter the market.  And what is wrong with the thought that a device should work in the clinical setting and not only during bench testing.  I have seen many devices fail in the clinical setting, so I am a believer of clinical data. 

Armin Beck
    CEO
    SunTrixConsulting LLC
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    1-925-212-7683
    armin.beck@suntrixmedical.com

• 5.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 30-Nov-2023 15:25

Dear Armin

My point is not clinical data or no clinical data.

The enormous costs are related to many different factors. 

For instance, a start-up with one medical device, waiting with hired staff for the typical 18-24 month CE marking period is a big financial risk. 

One deficiency report received stated that all the publications in all EU languages had to be incorporated in clinical evaluation. Maybe MDCGs and MEDDEVs were not translated into all EU languages due to costs?

Another deficiency, all parameters of the subject devices had to be given for all medical devices within the its generic group (>20 in total) to allow a fair comparison. This requested data for the medical devices within the generic group is not available in a review, unfortunately. The effort (time, cost) is enormous. 

Then the varying opinions of the definitions e.g. those associated with intended purpose. Alignment within the different regulatory bodies and notified bodies is not yet there. If you build your TF on that intended purpose = intended use then your efforts (time, cost) to compile the TF and CER are much smaller than if based your intended purpose definition on that given in the MDR Article 2. There is a lot less to prove and address with intended use = intended purpose. 

The house (Technical File, CER) has to be built on a solid foundation (intended purpose) otherwise it will wobble or fall other or be washed away or ...Not?

Thanks in advance to all your comments back to me. 

Best Regards,

Stephanie

Stephanie Grassmann
    Biberstein
    Switzerland

• 6.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 30-Nov-2023 11:37

Ed:

I have the same experience that manufacturers are not motivated to comply with the MDR regarding legacy devices. In fact, the extension time for legacy devices caused some misconception by the manufacturers that they have to do nothing.  I have written a white paper about this issue but did not receive many interests.

Armin Beck
    CEO
    SunTrixConsulting LLC
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    1-925-212-7683
    armin.beck@suntrixmedical.com

• 7.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 30-Nov-2023 10:37

I have been concerned about the problems raised here. Basically that device manufacturers will abandon the EU leaving a shortage of some devices and a consolidation to only larger manufacturers.

One of the goals of the new regulations was to improve devices so the people of the EU have access to best devices in the world. It appears the method was to increase the scope and depth of the regulatory requirements while eliminating "poor performing" NBs.

I wonder, I've not seen any analysis, how often device manufacturers change or redesign an MDD device because it does not meet the MDR requirements. Basically the question is how often does the MDR cause improved devices over the MDD counterpart.

I suspect this improvement case is rare and MDR devices are actually MDD devices with more and different documentation.

Does anybody have insight into this issue?

Dan O'Leary CQA, CQE
    Swanzey NH
    United States

• 8.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 30-Nov-2023 18:10
    Edited by Julie Broderick 30-Nov-2023 18:11

Thanks for this interesting discussion.

I am a regulatory consultant and primarily work with start-ups. Ten years ago they would all have come to me asking to go to the EU first. Now they are all going US first, and no one is even considering approaching the EU market and CE marking under the MDR.

In addition, many companies with legacy devices are opting out of the EU market, unless the revenue from their products more than justifies the expense and time to obtain a CE mark under the MDR. It's not that these companies are lazy or unmotivated to apply for a MDR CE mark. They have made a business decision that the EU market doesn't justify the investment.

I wonder how long it will take the EU Commission to figure out that they have swung the pendulum way too far in the direction of over-regulation. The increased testing, clinical data requirements and number of documents, as well as the frequency of updates, especially for class IIb and III devices, is overwhelming for all but the biggest medical device manufacturers. I find it hard to believe that medical devices will be substantially safer or more effective after all this work is done.

Julie Broderick RAC
    Principal/Consultant
    Winchester MA
    United States

• 9.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 01-Dec-2023 01:35

Dear Julie, Dan, Armin, Ed

Thank you all for contributing to the discussion.

We need everyone's help to change the political environment and medical device submission process in EU as well as Switzerland (chosen to follow most of MDR). 

Julie, I fully agree with you as well as previous points made by the other contributors. 

Safer products are realised not by creating 5x as much documentation for market submission.

The real safety and effectiveness is known from the tracking of medical device from the timepoints of market entry - a point that FDA has realised with their initiatives of collecting real world data and real world evidence. 

Technical Files and Clinical Evaluation Reports either written for the competent authorities (MD Class I) or submitted to the  notified bodies for MDR CE certification are ideal representations of the data and information associated with the medical device with clinical data derived from the perfect patient group. 

I am extremely concerned, as a veteran participant/ worker in the medical device industry (researcher started in medical devices in early 1990s) and  having co-workers,  friends and family highly dependant on receiving medical devices and medical care. 

We all need to come together and find solutions immediately.

Some solutions, I have posted on my LinkedIn page. Please support us. 

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7135912114619039744/

Best Regards,

Stephanie

Stephanie Grassmann
    Biberstein
    Switzerland

• 10.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 01-Dec-2023 02:52

Hello,

I think most of you know my opinion on the current state of the European Union in regards to medical devices and IVD medical devices from my posts.  Rather than bog down in politics and bureaucracy, the European Union Commission should follow their own mandates and protect citizens of the European Union.  The current actions are going to leave many citizens with limited to no viable health care options and no access to latest technology.  This is just as bad as allowing failing products to enter the market.  Companies are not able to move to EU MDR compliance because they are still dealing with all the incompetencies of renewing/updating their EU MDD compliance.  Shocks and horrifies me every single time I see audit lists and review lists - creating 1000 more pages of documents is not going to make a product safer which has already been on the market 14 years.

There are many things which can be done and improved even beyond the position paper published already last year with no meaningful improvements.  Notified Body system needs to be flat fee and completely transparent - not a business model for profit.  Products with known safety and performance profiles should be accepted as such.  Remove the barriers to market for innovative products or provide alternate pathways for innovative products.  IT infrastructure needs to be put in place now.  I could continue ...

Sorry Stephanie though I disagree that we can help to change the environment.  I can not make it change.  You can not make it change.  Small companies can not make it change.  Large companies can make it change.  Competent Authorities can make it change.  If sufficient large companies support the entire industry, they can say "Enough is enough," and disrupt the system.  Because at some point even those large companies will struggle getting their new and innovative products to market in the EU.  If I was responsible for the health and welfare of my citizens at a Competent Authority or National Health Ministry, I would leave the European Union also to ensure my citizens had proper access to medical device and IVD medical devices.  Disrupt the system so true and effective change can be made to this blundering, disastrous, and appalling situation which is happening now.

Richard Vincins ASQ-CQA, MTOPRA, RAC
    Vice President Global Regulatory Affairs
    Oriel STAT A MATRIX - ENTERPRISE

• 11.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 01-Dec-2023 03:06

Dear Richard

Thank you for your comments back. I appreciate and value your opinion.

I have been in conversation with the big companies. They have also not succeeded.

Maybe it comes down to politicians not wanting to admit to failure? 

Yes, I agree with you. We have had Brexit. I assume that we will have Medexit in which countries will ignore the medical device regulation. 

Issues are not isolated to only MDR but to other EU regulatory frameworks.

Let us not forget UK has left and Switzerland has not joined.

Some EU countries are silently doing their own things. We have a few examples presented in the forum.  

Best Regards,

Stephanie

Stephanie Grassmann
    Biberstein
    Switzerland

• 12.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 01-Dec-2023 03:50

Hi all,

I agree with most of the comments you made and the concern you have.

Last week the Italian MoH issued a letter to economic operators inviting companies to start as soon as possibile the conformity assessment due to lack of requests.

I also attended a BSI training and the numbers of submissions made they presented and the NB also was inviting manufacturers to apply as soon as they can.

If for MDR the situation is difficult, for IVDR it is dramatic. Costs associated with the conformity assessment and for ensuring compliance are too high for manufacturing companies of well established/low risk devices, that represent a very high percentage of the entire market. For instance I have been told by several manufacturers of clinical chemistry reagents that are sold with a cost of few euro each that they are unable to cover costs with commercial revenues and this is the reason why they will not apply to IVDR. IVDs companies, also, usually have a large portfolio of devices and costs associated are too burdensome. 

My question is when we can say that this proposed system has failed? 

Carlo d'Alessandro
    Director, Quality and Regulatory
    Donawa Lifescience Consulting
    Roma
    Italy

• 13.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 01-Dec-2023 14:50
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

I view this issue from a manufacturer's perspective.  It has been over 2 years since our MDR application was submitted to our NB.  The application included technical documentation which was based on the requirements within the 2017/745 MDR regulation and the few guidance documents which were available at that time.  Since the date of application, MDCG and NB's have published many guidance documents and white papers which describe their expectations and their interpretation of the regulatory requirements.  This has made MDR compliance an ever-moving target.  Although the regulation was published years ago, the requirements for compliance (defined within guidance documents) have been only around for a short while (and more continue to be published as I write this).  The NB's seem to be desperately short-staffed and do not have the capacity to process the MDR applications which are in queue.  This can be seen by the growing backlog of MDR applications as shown in the MDCG 2023-11 report.  From my perspective the manufacturers are not to blame.  The extension of the MDR dates per 2023/607 are necessary because the NB's can't process the applications which they already have.

• 14.  RE: France raising MDR/ IVDR concern at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023

Posted 03-Dec-2023 03:26
    Edited by Stephanie Grassmann 03-Dec-2023 03:28

I regret that the finger is being pointed so often at the manufacturer.

Proposals to all involved has been posted by me at https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7135912114619039744/ 

Please participate! 

EU stakeholders issued Survey to MDR/ IVDR economic operators (EO) 30. Nov. https://ec.europa.eu/eusurvey/runner/MFandAR

-> France and others expressed MDR/ IVDR implementation concerns at EPSCO (Health) in Brussels 30th Nov 2023. 

At 12:51 on video link https://video.consilium.europa.eu/event/en/27198 

France issued note prior https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-15385-2023-INIT/x/pdf

Best Regards,

Stephanie

Stephanie Grassmann
    Biberstein
    Switzerland