Regulatory Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Response to a FDA Form 483

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 05-Dec-2023 14:46
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

Hello,

The company I work for had our first FDA inspection.  This is also the first FDA inspection I have experienced.  I am working on the response to the three observations on our 483.  There is not much guidance from the FDA on the format for a response, but I am finding some variance with the guidance I am finding online.  The items in particular that I am not sure about including are the root cause assessment, a verification of effectiveness, and including a plan to provide routine updates on our progress for the Corrective Action plans.  Our inspector made it seem like a response to the 483 would be just our planned corrective actions, so I was surprised to see so much 483 guidance suggest providing periodic updates on the progress.  I am also used to our Notified Body who is very clear about what they want to see as a response.

I was curious if anyone had any guidance on when to provide more than just restating the observations and providing the planned corrective actions.

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: Response to a FDA Form 483

Posted 05-Dec-2023 16:59

Hi Anon.

First, generally speaking the FDA does expect a certain level of specificity about what you are doing to correct any of the issues and a review of the potential for a finding to provide evidence of a deeper problem with your systems.  So my initial advice is to not just provide the planned corrective actions - that is, in my opinon, a fast track to a Warning Letter.

That said, you do need to analyze each of the individual issues that were noted in your 483.  Obviously without a little more information I can't tell you exactly how to do this.  But it is imperative that you take the time to truly review what the inspection finding was, what other things might be impacted by similar issues, and if any product is already on the market in the US you need to be ready to explain what, if anything, you plan to do about that product (recall, field action, nothing - but you really need some solid justifications if you plan to do nothing!).

Remember, your response to the 483 is by regulation due 15 working days from the date of the original 483.  So if you were provided your 483 on Friday (Dec 1), you have basically until December 16th or so to provide your response.  Unless these issues were something you were already anticipating or were things that are truly simple to correct, you are not going to complete your corrections within 15 business days.  So you are gong to likely be involved in continuing communication with the FDA regardless of what the inspector made it sound like.  Here are some suggestions about some of the more common issues that arise in inspections (at least in my experience and in reading through Warning Letters for the past 20 years!):

1. No SOP or not following an SOP.  Correction is usually to write the SOP, get the SOP approved through your regular process for approving SOPs and then getting everyone who requires training on the SOP trained.  This can sometimes be completed in the 15 day period.  In this case you would want to include the new/updated SOP, the proof of training (both read and practical if applicable) as well as any data or information you can provide proving that the training was effective.
    2. Failure to comply with an FDA announced standard for a particular ingredient or product.  This is going to require that a root cause and further analysis and investigation be completed in order to fully explain to FDA what the impact of such a finding would be.  For example, if it is a raw material, how many products are impacted by this not having been in compliance, how many product lots or serial numbers are still on the market and within their usable life or expiration date, what do you plan to do and how to you plan to ensure that the products on the market are safe for use?  In this case you are likely looking at not being able to do this level of analysis within the 15 day window.  You would provide your plan to review the information you have, provide a timeline for when you will have each item in the process of the review completed, and commit to ensuring that there are regular updates on an agreed upon schedule.
    3. Lack of management support - this is a situation where there is no chance you will get the issues resolved in 15 days.  Be realistic, provide what you can do in the 15 days along with a plan and commit to recurring communication with FDA and reasonable timing.
    4. Insufficiency/inability of Quality to perform their duties under the law.  Again this is a major one because it often will take any combination of the following: additional personnel, more experienced personnel, changes in senior personnel, or changes as to the entire process that is followed by your quality unit.  Again, not going to be completed in 15 days.

Personally, I am a proponent of going through as much of the information or the commitments as you possibly can and create as strong a response as possible in the 15 day window and commit to making further information and improvements available to the FDA.  The better your initial response to the agency the less likely that the agency is to take further negative actions like warning letters, injunctions, or even the potential of arrests (I know - highly unlikely in an initial situation as it appears this might be but the fact is that FDA does not need to take any intermediary actions if the issues are sufficiently significant). 

To get a better idea of what other things you might want to consider I would strongly suggest that you go to the FDA's warning letter website and look up warning letters to other companies in your same area of the industry.  This will provide you with a bit of a roadmap as to what the agency has found deficient in other 483 responses especially since the majority of warning letters seem to be instigated by the sequence: inspection -> 483 issuance -> 483 response -> FDA review of response -> response deemed inadequate -> warning letter.

------------------------------
    Victor Mencarelli MS
    Global Director Regulatory Affairs
    New YorkNY
    United States

• 3.  RE: Response to a FDA Form 483

Posted 06-Dec-2023 02:04

Hello Anon,

In addition to what Victor wrote about the response information and timing, which is really important, I could give some suggestions on submitting corrective action responses to an FDA Form 483 which has been issued.  This actually follows closely to a typical corrective action type of process.  The most important point, and I can not stress this enough, do not send in a response such as, "We will fix it."  You will end up with a Warning Letter.  As Victor provided the examples, many if not all the observations could not be fixed within the 15 days, so need to provided a plan - but this plan should be detailed clearly identifying what is being done and how it will be resolved.  Following a corrective action type of approach:

• Correction: What is the company doing immediately to address the observation, i.e. product hold, quarantine, awareness, immediate procedure update
    • Risk Impact: What is the impact the current observation has on finished product, if any, and what impact this has on previous product or product in the field
    • Root Cause Analysis: This should be fairly complete and provided; even if only preliminary information is obtained, the root cause should be described
    • Scope of Observation: Is there a timeframe involved (see risk impact) where past information needs to be reviewed or is it only moving to the future
    • Corrective Action: The plan for what the company is going to do for the observation, i.e. re-validation, procedural updates, modify product, changes
    • Timeline: When the correction is done, when the corrective action is being done, when updates will be communicated

There are many items around these points, but as stated, be as detailed as possible and not just respond to the Form 483 observation saying it will be fixed by 'X' date.  As said, make sure to submit this within 15 days.  Then there should be a routine update until all observations are closed out, typically this is done monthly or 4 to 12 week intervals.  Also important, if you commit to certain timelines on responses, make sure these are maintained.  You will not automatically get responses from the FDA for the responses provided ... but they are checking these, so make sure they are done on time.

Richard Vincins ASQ-CQA, MTOPRA, RAC
    Vice President Global Regulatory Affairs
    Oriel STAT A MATRIX - ENTERPRISE

• 4.  RE: Response to a FDA Form 483

Posted 06-Dec-2023 06:01

First, you don't need to respond to a 483. However, if you don't you run the risk of a Warning Letter. Your goal is to prevent a Warning Letter. You need to keep FDA informed of what you are doing to ensure they know you take the observations seriously and doing the right things.

Frame your actions using corrections to fix the problem and corrections to identify the cause and prevent recurrence. (There is no such thing as root cause!) For corrective action make sure your procedure follows 820.100.

I recommend monthly updates on each observation. They should include a plan, the actions you have taken based on the plan, and the objective evidence. Use the structure of 820.100 to build the plan. One thing that will trigger a Warning Letter is an inadequate response.

For the objective evidence be specific. For example, if an observation dealt with lack of training then identify the people trained, by name and position, and include the training records.

You should have received information about how to submit the response. The last one I did for a client requested PDF files with contents, so you need software that will do that.

Include a "map" of each response showing how it relates to the observation and what you have included. Make it easy for the FDA person to follow and, therefore, generate a warm fuzzy feeling about your company.

Include a letter of transmittal signed my Management with Executive Responsibility. This shows management commitment to resolving the observations.

Dan O'Leary CQA, CQE
    Swanzey NH
    United States

• 5.  RE: Response to a FDA Form 483

Posted 06-Dec-2023 12:38

Great topic; probably my favorite type of work!

The specific nature and extent of the three FDA-483 Observations will influence FDA's ultimate expectations for your response.  I would need to see those Observations to provide definitive advice.  But in general, YES, to neutralize FDA's internal operating triggers for escalated compliance gestures like Warning Letters, your response needs to include, or promise to provide in scheduled course, the particulars about which you're asking [the root cause assessment, a verification of effectiveness, and a plan to provide routine updates on your progress for the Corrective Action plans (among a number of other crucial elements)]. I explain further below.

FDA investigators often emphasize that the 483 response would be our planned corrective actions.  But my experience is that such emphasis is not to obviate us from providing implementation evidence, but rather to assure the firm knows that it doesn't necessarily need to have all corrections and corrective actions fully closed within the 15-business-day timeline.  I discuss that further later in this thread.

On that note, I'm not recalling any FDA regulation prescribing that we need to respond to FDA-483s within 15 business days.  But make no mistake, the 15-business-day mark is an FDA internal operating timeline built into FDA's inspection management practices and regulatory procedures.  Specifically, FDA investigators are trained/instructed to advise the firm's management that, if FDA receives an "adequate" response to the Form FDA 483, or other objectionable conditions, within 15 business days of the end date of the inspection, then it may impact FDA's determination of the need for subsequent action.  This is driven by, and/or linked to, other downstream FDA internal operating procedures such as its Warning Letter trigger procedures directing FDA to make its Warning Letter decision/recommendation within fifteen working days after completion of the inspection.  Accordingly, steer clear of the notion that we don't need to respond to an FDA-483, as such an assertion can be profoundly costly for your organization.

On the note of Warning Letters, I've first-hand seen repeated examples of Warning Letters and Untitled Letters that were issued wherein a cited key trigger was that the firm responded to the 483 but didn't provide the actual evidence of completed corrections and/or corrective actions.  Here is an example of FDA's usual language from a current active project I was hired to help resolve:

"...We reviewed your firm's response where it's stated that your firm will revise the firm's CAPA procedures to include verifying or validating the corrective and preventive actions, and implementing and recording changes in the methods and procedures, in addition to perform a systemic (i.e., system wide) review of the firm's CAPA procedures in order to identify other CAPA procedural nonconformities that may exist. However, the adequacy of your firm's response and/or proposed actions cannot be determined at this time. Your response does not include supporting documentation to demonstrate that the corrections have been completed. These planned actions cannot be evaluated without supporting documentation..."

This type of FDA escalation is commonplace and pervasive when FDA-483 responses don't ultimately provide actual evidence of implemented corrections/corrective actions.  Accordingly, be sure your response provides, or schedules to provide in due course, the actual implementation evidence (e.g., copies of revised procedures, copies of retrospective analyses, copies of revised/corrected documents like DHFs, complaints, CAPAs, etc., copies of training records, etc., etc.).

And don't fall prey to the tempting notion that all of your promised corrections and corrective actions must be fully completed within the 15-business-day timeline.  That can actually increase the chances of FDA escalation when a firm makes unrealistic promises thereby showing FDA that the firm doesn't truly understand the gravity of the issues.  The timeline for completion of your promised corrections and corrective actions needs to be done commensurate with risk and magnitude of the problems.  Urgency is certainly important; but sensibility about the true scope of the issues is also paramount for avoiding escalated FDA compliance gestures.

To further emphasize the importance of committing to give FDA (and following through) progress reports to FDA showing evidence of your completed corrections and corrective actions, remember FDA's Warning Letter trigger consideration process for ongoing or promised corrective actions.  Specifically, FDA considers whether the firm's 483 response contains, "...provisions for monitoring and review to ensure effectiveness...", and, "...Whether documentation of the corrective action was provided to enable the agency to undertake an informed evaluation...", and, "...Whether the timeframe for the corrective action is appropriate and whether actual progress has been made in accordance with the timeframe...".  Put simply, this requires us to provide to FDA progress reports with evidence of our progress in order to help allay FDA's Warning Letter trigger thresholds.

Regarding your question about showing FDA your root cause investigation: By regulation, FDA requires nonconformities (like those cited in your 483) to be properly processed as appropriate in accordance with the corrective action provisions of 21 CFR 820.100.  While FDA has said that not all nonconformities require corrective action, it is generally accepted best practice to automatically issue an official corrective action(s) covering each FDA-483 Observation.  And because of FDA's aforesaid requirement for seeing the actual evidence of correction and corrective action in order to conclude that the objectionable conditions are resolved, then this consequently means providing copies of those CAPAs, which shall include the root cause investigation.

I won't sidetrack this thread with the worn path about the pitfalls of the acronym "CAPA" other than to say that the "CAPA" acronym topic has been addressed ad nauseam in prior threads, and moreover to say that FDA is still pervasively using the "CAPA" acronym as my preceding FDA case quotation shows.  And similarly, regarding the trendy fad of declaring that there is no such thing as "root cause", I would strongly advise against trying FDA's patience and process with that questionable notion. Check out this prior Forum thread where the criticality of finding the root cause(s) of a problem was previously discussed.

Also, be sure you don't confuse or equate the standardized terms "correction" with "corrective action".  They have distinctly different meanings and purposes for your FDA-483 response.  Convoluting or being careless about those terms in your quality system or 483 response is a perilous approach.

Kevin Randall, ASQ CQA, RAC (U.S., Europe, Canada)
    Principal Consultant
    Ridgway, CO
    United States
    © Copyright 2023 by ComplianceAcuity, Inc. All rights reserved.

• 6.  RE: Response to a FDA Form 483

Posted 06-Dec-2023 13:00

Forgot to mention that an ultimate FDA compliance goal when receiving a Form FDA 483 is to thereafter receive from FDA what FDA has called a "VAI Letter" The "VAI" acronym comes from FDA's internal categorization 'Voluntary Action Indicated' that is generally given by FDA to inspections/investigations where no further regulatory [such as OAI (e.g., a Warning Letter)] action is expected.

A VAI Letter is issued where FDA has received and reviewed your response(s) to the 483 and does not have objections to your plan nor to the actions implemented to date. The FDA in the VAI letter will generally signal that it appears to FDA that your actions are on the right track, but will stop short of officially endorsing the adequacy/effectiveness of your actions, and that FDA will officially follow-up at the next regularly scheduled inspection.  My experiences have been that once a VAI Letter and the EIR are issued, then we are no longer expected to continue submitting the promised progress reports, though I generally confirm that to be true for each particular case before ceasing the progress reports.

Kevin Randall, ASQ CQA, RAC (U.S., Europe, Canada)
    Principal Consultant
    Ridgway, CO
    United States
    © Copyright 2023 by ComplianceAcuity, Inc. All rights reserved.

• 7.  RE: Response to a FDA Form 483

Posted 06-Dec-2023 11:08

Everyone has provided very good information.  I have been through this many times.  One thing to remember is that the person that is reading and evaluating your response is not the same person that gave you the observation.  The response will be reviewed by a compliance officer, so you will need to tell the entire story.  Some mentioned and it is key to the response, your corrective action needs to prevent recurrence.  There are examples of companies that received an observation related to a design in the US market.  They made a design change to address the issue in the design and they released it to the market.  The problem was that they had not addressed the design that was already in the market and the issue continued to occur.  I am not saying you have to recall every design, but, as some mentioned, part of your correction is to evaluate the product in the field and determine, based on risk, the need to conduct a field action or not.

Another example is if the FDA finds gaps in your records.  Part of your correction/corrective action plan should be a remediation of records that have already been created.  Gaps in DHF's is a great example.  The FDA finds gaps in your DHF.  Don't just update the procedure and apply it to all future DHF's but evaluate if there is a need to remediate all DHF's that have already been created.

If you are not already subscribed, I recommend that you sign up for the weekly warning letter email from the FDA.  Look at some of the warning letters for medical devices.  You will see some great examples of what not to do.

Victor, Richard and Dan have covered off all the other pieces.  This is just some additional information to keep in mind when responding to the FDA.

Christopher Slimak
    Director, Design Assurance
    Stryker - ENTERPRISE
    Warsaw IN
    United States