Regulatory Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Transferred Device with 510(k) - Establishment Registration

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 22-Mar-2021 12:43

My company has acquired an FDA 510(k) cleared medical device from another manufacturer - the transfer of this device was finalized end of February 2021.  My company wishes to begin marketing the transferred device in the US only, as soon as possible.

I reviewed the FDA Guidance for establishment registration and device listing, but I'm not totally clear on what is expected from the new manufacturer of a "transferred device":

• When is the establishment registration required for this device?
    • Is a device listing required and if so when?
    • Will I only need to fill out the required forms listed on the FDA Guidance, or is other additional documentation required?

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Transferred Device with 510(k) - Establishment Registration

Posted 22-Mar-2021 14:43
    Edited by Kevin Randall 22-Mar-2021 14:43
    If a company acquires an FDA 510(k)-cleared device from another manufacturer, then the new responsible manufacturer generally needs to register and list within 30 days.  More technically speaking, the 30-day clock starts once the new owner enters into an operation(s) requiring registration and listing [those operations are described in 21 CFR §807.20(a)].  Also important is that the registration and listing by the new owner needs to coincide with corresponding inactivation of the registration and listing by the seller.  These registration and listing processes happen via the web-based forms within FDA's FURLS system.

------------------------------
    Kevin Randall, ASQ CQA, RAC (U.S., Europe, Canada)
    Principal Consultant
    Ridgway, CO
    United States
    © Copyright 2021 by ComplianceAcuity, Inc. All rights reserved.

• 3.  RE: Transferred Device with 510(k) - Establishment Registration

Posted 22-Mar-2021 16:47

Thank you Kevin for the fast response.  I have reviewed 807.20(a) and would ask for a bit more clarification, please:

I don't see anything about a time limit...is the 30 calendar days or work days?

This is the new manufacturers first registration and listing.  We have not started any operations except talking with vendors as we plan our relabeling and packaging.  Am I assuming correctly the the clock will start for us when the vendor begins the relabeling the product?

Sorry, but I must remain anonymous...

• 4.  RE: Transferred Device with 510(k) - Establishment Registration

Posted 22-Mar-2021 18:54

No worries Anon about anonymity; it's very common in the Forum, and for various good reasons.

Lots of folks grapple with the practical interpretation of 807.20(a); it can certainly be hard to decipher.  That said, it generally revolves around FDA's liberal interpretation of "manufacturing", which includes, but is not limited to, specification development.  Generally speaking, if a firm is actively engaged in any regulated GMP operation (like supplier/vendor selection), then the firm has likely exceeded the 807.20(a) threshold.  For example, I suggest that the agency would interpret even the planning of relabeling / repackaging to be a design and/or production planning activity, and thus within the boundaries of 807.20(a).

The 30-day timeline for initial registrations is governed by §807.22(a) entitled "Initial registration and listing", along with the formative preamble from 1977 where industry and agency worked to establish a reasonable timeline.  Note also that the timeline is the same for revisions of existing registrations/listings [see §807.22(b)(2)].  By experience I can say that these mean calendar days.  Oddly, I haven't been able to put my finger on specific agency narratives directly stating this interpretation; perhaps other Forum members can do so.  Note that, in other aspects of Part 807, the agency states "business days" when it means business days, further indicating that it is safe to interpret "30 days" as just that.  Remember also that the actual law / statutory requirement in section 510 of the FD&C Act states that the registration must happen "immediately".  Accordingly, part 807's regulatory promulgation of this as a 30-day requirement is not likely to mean 30 business days, as that wouldn't seem to meet the intent of the underlying law.

Kevin Randall, ASQ CQA, RAC (U.S., Europe, Canada)
    Principal Consultant
    Ridgway, CO
    United States

• 5.  RE: Transferred Device with 510(k) - Establishment Registration

Posted 23-Mar-2021 08:12
    Hi Anonymous 

We are assuming you are a manufacturer in the US. If not, you need a US agent, even if the device is made in the US.

Also, assuming you have appropriate medical device distribution licenses and comply with FDA QSR for its relevant sections and have other FDA regulated systems in place for medical device reporting, recalls as necessary.

It is also unclear in your relabeling activities if you are including UDI information and to establish an account for populating GUDID (additional to general FURLS entries for Establishment and Device Listing). 

I typically consider the 30 days to be calendar. 

Good luck,

Ginger Cantor, MBA, RAC
    Founder/Principal Consultant
    Centaur Consulting LLC
    River Falls, Wisconsin 54022 USA
    715-307-1850
    centaurconsultingllc@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Transferred Device with 510(k) - Establishment Registration

Posted 23-Mar-2021 14:41
    In alignment with the preceding, FDA's DICE says 30 calendar days.

Kevin Randall, ASQ CQA, RAC (Europe, U.S., Canada)
    Principal Consultant
    Ridgway, CO
    United States

• 7.  RE: Transferred Device with 510(k) - Establishment Registration

Posted 16-Feb-2023 08:19

Thank you @Kevin Randall  and @Ginger Cantor . Your posts are quite helpful as I've encountered a similar situation.

I have an additional question to your comments. If a 510(k) cleared device has been acquired from Company A by Company B and an agreement is in place between the two companies to provide for transfer activities over a period of time, are there allowances in the regulations to provide a "sell-off" period for devices (labeled as manufactured by Company A and already imported into US/stored by initial importer) after the FURLS listing has been updated?